If you have ever wanted a body like world known surfer Laird Hamilton, then here is your chance. Laird recently sat down with Men’s Health Magazine and revealed what he does (besides surfing of course) to keep his body looking spectacular. He claims that people just think he looks as good as he does because of he surfs, but in reality there is a whole other half, which includes the foods he eats. Laird follows ten rules when it comes to eating:
1) Push Start: He starts every morning with a smoothie (recipe below). If you expect to eat healthy throughout the day, you have to start off well.
2) Don’t Graze: Laird makes sure he never eats unless he is hungry. He doesn’t want to indulge in those extra calories especially when they are not needed.
3) Chew Slowly: If you chew slowly, you will get full faster. You also do not eat unnecessary food.
4) Eat Real Food: Laird states, “Be wary of any food that has been created by humans rather than nature. The ingredients on the labels of processed foods, such as the average cracker or potato chip, are mind-boggling. If I don’t know what it is, it’s not going into my body.”
5) Be Diverse: There are many different healthy foods in the world. Make wise choices and do not be afraid to try something new! Each food brings a certain something to your body, so make sure you try a diverse range of food.
6) Experiment: The thing that keeps Laird interested in eating is finding different types of fruits and vegetables are rarely known. He loves trying unique things that can only be found in certain places.
7) Listen to your body: Cravings, cravings, cravings; story of everybody’s life, and when people crave, it is usually sugary foods. Laird admits that when he craves something sugary and sweet, he turns to fruit such as pineapple and papaya.
Continue to page two…